"Today’s common table salt has nothing in common with the real, natural salt the Greeks and Romans used.
The problem with today’s table salt
Table salt such as the kind that is commonly used today is “purified,” a process that involves a re-crystallization at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. As with pasteurization of milk and honey, this heating process depletes salt of its natural minerals and nutrients, altering the chemical structure of the salt. The refining process also involves the use of aluminum, ferro cyanide, and bleach. After this process, anti-caking compounds are added to the salt so that it will easily pour from a salt shaker. In many foreign countries, table salt is also fluoridated. In fact, table salt is 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% additives.
The health benefits of himalayan pink salt
Himalayan pink salt, on the other hand, is comprised of 85% sodium chloride and 15% natural minerals. Research has found that these pink salt crystals contain 84 essential minerals required by the human body, including calcium, chloride, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
According to Dr. Mercola, the health benefits of unprocessed himalayan pink salt containing the 84 minerals include:
- Regulating the water content of your body
- Promoting a healthy pH balance of the cells, particularly brain cells
- Regulating blood sugar levels
- Absorbing of food particles through your intestinal tract
- Supporting respiratory health
- Promoting sinus health
- Preventing muscle cramps
- Promoting bone strength
- Regulating and the body’s natural sleep cycle
- Promoting vascular health and regulating blood pressure"