Translate

Search the site

Friday, November 21, 2014

How to Be a Good Ally to Fat People Who Appear to Have Lost Weight

I recently lost 10 pounds. I would give this article to people who comment on my weight loss as well.Even if someone is already average and lost like 10 pounds, this still applies.

"Our culture normalizes talking about bodies all the time.

There is especially a lot of value placed on weight gain or loss.

Turn on a television and just listen to diet chatter. It’s pervasive, obnoxious, and well-meaning individuals perpetuate it in our personal lives all the time.

I like to create an environment in my life that is about substance over small talk, where compliments are genuine and weight is value-neutral.

“Oh, but Bevin,” you may be saying. “I really mean it as a compliment when I notice you’ve lost weight!”

But, well-intentioned friend, just because you’re well-intentioned doesn’t mean what you say doesn’t have a harmful impact.

Weight loss doesn’t mean I look good.

I believe I look good at all of my weights – all bodies are good bodies.

And I know your perception of me might have changed because you are socialized to believe smaller is better, but I would like to gently invite you to do something different with your non-pliments of “You look so good!” when someone has lost weight.

It’s also important to remember that the well-intentioned friends come in all shapes and sizes, fat, thin, and in-between.

1. How About Don’t Talk About It?
2. Wait for the Person to Bring It Up
3. Mention a General Compliment That Is More Neutral
4. Comment on the Self
5. Absolutely Don’t Ask Someone What They’re Doing
See the entire article with explainations @ Everyday Feminism