2/3 cup dry TVP
2 cups hot vegetable broth
1/4 cup vegan ketchup
1/4 cup vegan worcestershire sauce (I made my own using Martha’s recipe a few weeks ago so I had it on hand)
1/2 tsp. molasses
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. liquid smoke (this is not in the original recipe)
1/2 tsp. salt
ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
6 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- In a large bowl, pour hot vegetable broth over dry TVP and let it soften for 10 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, except the vital wheat gluten, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the vital wheat gluten. You should have a wet dough, similar to wet seitan dough.
- Let the dough rest (for about 10 minutes) while you heat the oven to 350*F and line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Form the dough into patties, place on the parchment-lined pan, and cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes for full-sized burgers, or 20 minutes for slider-sized patties.
- At this point, either turn the patties, baste with barbecue sauce or olive oil and bake for 15 more minutes uncovered (or 10 for smaller patties), or grill on lowish heat for 5 to 7 minutes per side."
Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce from Martha Stewart