Translate

Search the site

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"... and the only feedback I got was that I looked great. " by WhitenyWay Thore, #IHadNoIdea, NEDA week, watch what you say.

"... and the only feedback I got was that I looked great. "
Watch what you say. Because that person who lost 20 pounds may have done so by starving his or herself. Saying those things could also easily trigger someone. Especially if they lost it through a sickness, now they feel like they can't gain the weight back. Also, such good compliments may make a person feel like they must do anything to stay that weight and that includes feeling guilty about eating.

"As National Eating Disorder Awareness Week draws to a close, I felt it important to talk about some things that I'm much more comfortable remaining quiet about. The girl is this photo is me. I was 15 years old, weighed about 120 lbs, and was deep in the mental and physical anguish of an eating disorder.

The theme of this week of awareness is ‪#‎IHadNoIdea‬, and this is especially meaningful to me. I did not confess my eating disorder to my parents until last year, as I'd held it a secret for so long and found it so much more shameful than having actually become fat. Because I was never underweight, many people in my life were unaware that I was both starving and purging day in and day out, completely consumed with being thin enough so that I would never be called fat. I lost 30 pounds off my 145-lb frame in a month once in high school and the only feedback I got was that I looked great. Eating disorders are often not obvious - and I struggled with mine until I was 18, and then off an on for years after that.



In 2012, I lost 100 lbs in 8 months and I was still restricting calories to sometimes 500/day and purging at least once a week. I weighed 250 pounds. I was classified as morbidly obese--Did I have an eating disorder? Yes. I am proud to say that I have not purged or restricted my food unhealthily for a year now, but eating disordered thoughts never leave me. I feel embarrassed as I am typing this. I have no problem being completely open about most things, but this is difficult for me.

Please, pay attention to your children, to your partners, and your friends. If you're struggling or know someone who is, get help. Recovery is possible. www.nedaawareness.org is a good place to start. ‪#‎MyBigFatFabLife‬ ‪#‎FatGirlDancing‬ ‪#‎nobodyshame‬"


Credit:Whiteny WayThore