Translate

Search the site

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Fat girl stereotypes I’m sick of dealing with

"1: fat girls have low self esteem.

A fat girl couldn’t POSSIBLY like- let alone love- her body. She just puts on a facade for others. So because I wear bigger jeans than you, I should feel shitty about myself? Interesting how that works. Contrary to popular belief, not all fat girls are down about how they look. I’ve actually been told before that I have “a pretty face” and “if you would lose a couple pounds you would really be gorgeous!” I can’t even explain how offensive and insulting those comments are. Personally, I wear a size 22/24 and I 100000% love and accept myself….and I happen to think I am -ahem FUCKING GORGEOUS! Every stretch mark, (which I didn’t get until I had two children BTW) every lump and bump, every square inch of my being. I know it’s hard to imagine an obese (*GASP*) woman could truly love who she is and what she looks like, but I’m living proof anything is possible. ;)
IMG_9676.JPG
2. Fat girls are desperate, and will have sex with anyone who shows interest.

This one REALLLLLLY irks me. Because I’m fat I have no self respect? I get no attention from others, so the first person to show an interest in me, I sleep with? Umm. No. If you can’t stimulate my mind with your intelligence, you won’t be stimulating me anywhere else, either. There is nothing that makes fat girls different than any other type of human woman, so just stop with that.

3. Fat girls are lazy/unhealthy.

Fat girls are lazy and don’t live a “healthy lifestyle.” This one really bothers me a lot. Because my body is bigger than yours, that means I’m in poor health? I’m very healthy, actually. I take one (NOT weight related) medication that I’ve been taking since I was a kid, and that’s it. I don’t drink, I quit smoking 2.5,years ago, I go on walks and hikes with my husband (imagine that, someone loved me enough to marry me, even though I’m fat!) and our two beautiful children, we go to the park and run around, play soccer, hide and seek, etc. I think it should go without saying, someone else’s health is between them and their doctor. Them being overweight does NOT in any way, shape, or form directly impact your life. In short, fat girls are no lazier than any other type of girl…so SHHHH!



4. Fat girls need to “dress for their size.”

I gotta say, many moons ago I’ve actually said things like this. But becoming an adult, and a mother has changed my outlook drastically. People should dress however they are comfortable. Wear as little or as many articles of clothing as you want. The size of your body doesn’t determine what you can or can’t wear. If wearing a bikini is what makes you happy, then rock that shit! If you find that you’re out in public, and you see me wearing shorts and a tank top, and for some reason this bothers you, do yourself and everyone around you a favor and keep it to yourself. It’s VERY easy to shift your eyes in the opposite direction. In short, keep your asshole opinion about my body and clothing choices to yourself.

It’s important to remember, that all human beings have feelings…yes, even us fat girls. It’s hurtful and disrespectful to voice any type of concern for how we look/our “health”/our clothing choices. All you need to do is just treat us fat girls with respect, and common courtesy, because the size of my stomach doesn’t determine who I am or how valuable I am to the world."

See the entire explanations @ Bad AssMotherFeminist