Translate

Search the site

Friday, March 7, 2014

All Roads Lead to the Pits : Homemade Deodorant


"Aren’t You Going To Stink?
Well, that’s the big question. I feel fairly confident I won’t, after reading so many other first-hand successful stories about this deodorant. But only time will tell.
I will report back in three weeks to let you know how it’s going/how it went and whether or not Fiance left me for a fresher-scented woman.
Of the many reasons I need to do this, finally, the biggest is this:
Traditional Deodorant is B-A-D
Almost all store-bought (non-organic/natural) deodorant has aluminum as a main ingredient. This is what acts as an antiperspirant (an effective one, sure, which is why I hesitated to try this for so long).
It also mimics estrogen in the body, which could really mess up your hormone levels. And it may be linked to breast cancer. And it’s linked to Alzheimer’s.
Um, no. Let’s be done with all that together, yeah?

What You Need

  • 1/4 c. baking soda
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
  • 5 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • Essential oils (optional – I used 3 drops of ylang-ylang, 4 drops of sweet orange, and 2 drops of tea tree)
  • Mix everything together very well in a small container. As it’s really warm around these parts still, my coconut oil would not solidify, so I opted to just keep it all in a pretty glass jar (which you will see in a minute). However, I hear tell that this solidifies to the point where you can pack it in an old deodorant container and use it just like you normally do. I may try that, if things seem to get a little more solid soon."